Friday, May 30, 2014

A First Time for Everything


I never say yes.  When people ask me to make them a quilt I avoid answering.  I've been burned more times that I care to recall.  This time was different.   A coworker asked me to work on her grandmother's quilt.  I hemmed and hawed.  It sat in a pile for a few weeks. 
Finally, I brought it home and knocked it out.  It was a bit of a challenge because of the quilt's age.  I couldn't stretch or pull too much.  The corners and edges had started to fray.  I think the stippling has helped to stabalize the blocks.
The pink and blue blocks are my favorites and maybe the oldest fabrics in the quilt.
This time was different because of the reaction I got when I handed my coworker her grandmother's quilt.  She was very appreciative.  She teared up.  You could tell that preserving her grandmother's work meant a lot to her.  The hours stitching in the basement were now all worth it to me.  Most of the time I only sew for myself and gifts because that is what brings me joy.  This time, quilting for hire has brought me joy.


No comments:

Post a Comment