Monday, January 2, 2012

Soap Making Day



Soap making was lots of fun.  I only made a half recipe.  I used half my bar of Zote.
1 Cup Borax
1 Cup Washing Soda
I haven't done all the math but I'm pretty sure it cost me less than a dollar to make this batch.  That means I'll get 32 loads for a buck.  What's $1.00 divided by 32?  Way less than $0.30 a load.

While I was at it I made dishwasher detergent.  We ran a load last night with it.  Hubby was concerned and made the sign of the cross.  He was skeptical about Borax going through the dishwasher.  No need to worry though.  the dishes came out sparkling clean.  I also put white vinegar in the Jet Dry dispenser and there wasn't any spotting.
The recipe for dish detergent is:
1 cup salt
2 cups Borax
2 cups Baking Soda
whisk and put into regular dispenser
add white vinegar to rinse cycle
Amazing!

1 comment:

  1. I have been enjoying all your blog posts lately! Please let me know how the washing goes. I can't wait to make some detergent myself.

    That dish washing detergent is probably so much better for your dish washer. So glad it worked! If we ever have a dish washer I will need to make some.

    ReplyDelete